Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Oh Happy Day!

I awoke this morning to a phone-call from my younger sister, Mindy. In the background played an exuberant rendition of the gospel “Oh Happy Day!” I lit my “inauguration candle”, the gift from a wonderful friend and prepared to experience this historical day.

We talked about this remarkable and significant day. I’ve always had a strong interest in politics, from the election and inauguration of President Jimmy Carter (whose daughter was just about two years old than me) through my chosen field of study in college (I’ve a B.S. in Political Science) to now.

I love everything about politics, the law and our government. Election time has always had an especially strong pull for me (my first-born came on Election-eve) and presidential inaugurations have always put a lump in my throat.

This inaugural day, more than any other, will stand out in my mind. The majesty of the capitol city, with all of it’s monuments to our great past, is a beautiful backdrop to the pomp and circumstance, and the pageantry of this moment. The world watches our amazing, peaceful transition of power; it is inspiring & unique.

From Mrs. Obama’s elegant outfit, to the comfortable, relaxed and completely calm smile of our soon-to-be 44th President of the United States, this is a phenomenal couple. Their two little princesses, Malia and Sasha, with their bright grins & adorable winter coat ensembles (and Malia most certainly with her personal digital camera) give MY little princesses faces with whom to relate.

Vice-President Dick Cheney, in a wheel-chair (due to a bad back), former Presidents and their wives (and some children), the Supreme Court of the United States of America, and millions of Americans (and countless millions around the world) are watching this…breathtaking!

Today, in a few minutes, the first “President-of-color”, the child of a single-mother, will place his hand on the bible where Abraham Lincoln laid his left hand when he was inaugurated. The hope, dreams and promise of our future is hard for me to express. President Elect Obama is now entering the dais and preparing to take the highest office of the most wonderful country on Earth.

God bless him; give him courage & strength & wisdom. God surround him with good, honest and humble council. God protect him, his family and our country. Amen

Oh Happy Day, indeed!

1 comment:

  1. Need some new pictures of the kids...

    erin

    ReplyDelete