Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Precious Moments

Being a parent has so many rewards. Watching your baby's first smile, taking that first step, the sweet "love notes" your five-year-old writes. My mother's day this year was full of wonderfully memorable moments which I will always cherish.

My lovely 11 year old, Alexa, gifted me with tickets to see Ira Glass, a radio host on my favorite NPR program, This American Life. If you have never heard it, you can listen to past shows online at www.thislife.org . I have listened to his program for years, in fact, he has introduced me to some of my favorite contemporary writers. Alexa has always enjoyed the program, as well, so it was fitting for us to have a Mother Daughter date to see him!

We began our evening by strolling around the Main Gate Square near the U of A campus. I was so proud to notice strangers smiling at my beautiful daughter; she is growing up so fast, into a gorgeous young lady. We then went to a charming little Greek restaurant, where she bought me a delicious dinner. She presented me with a very sweet card (with music!) and insisted on opening my card whenever new customers walked in the door, so they could enjoy the song, too!

After dinner, we picked up a couple of drinks at Starbuck's (yes, mine was decaf! and yes, she treated me AGAIN!) and then walked up to the Women's Plaza of Honor, a really cool structure, dedicated to phenomenal women in Arizona history. It was the perfect place for us to sit and reflect and enjoy the beautiful dusk.

The show was amazing; Ira Glass is an excellent combination of nerdy intellectual, witty funny-man & kind hearted world observer. We laughed hard, teared up a little and thoroughly enjoyed his presentation. It's so amazing to be able to have a smart discussion with my preteen about the issues discussed in his show...I see the woman she is going to be and I really like her!

Our drive home was full of excited conversation, recounting every funny moment of our flawless evening. We didn't want the evening to end!

The following morning, Chris brought me breakfast in bed. The girls had a handmade card & gifts for me (a beach scented candle & my signature scent, "Angel" by Thierry Mugler). I lounged for the day, my affectionate family waiting on me, hand & foot. In the evening we went to Ryan and Abby's to float in their new pool and to eat a feast of shish-ka-bob, asparagus & a delicate rice dish which Abby made.

A long distance Mother's Day phone call from Michael capped off my excellent Mother's Day and added to the numerous memories which I will always prize!
Me and my phenomenal daughter at the Women's Plaza of HonorMom and Alexa at the Women's Plaza of Honor. Maybe someday her name will be engraved there, too!
At the house before we leftAt the house before we left; Dad took some pictures of his girls!
It was super sunny out, hence the squinting!Collin's 'Dr. Bear', a little buddy we made at Build-A-Bear to help keep him company while he's in the hospitalOn another note, we got wonderful news this evening. Collin's surgery has been cancelled! You can read the update here: www.babycollin.blogspot.com We're overjoyed and so grateful for this turn of events! This picture is of Collin's 'Dr. Bear' which we made to comfort him and keep him company while in the hospital. We're now hoping that Mr. Bear NEVER has to see the inside of a hospital! Thank you all for your continued prayers and healing thoughts for our precious grandson.

No comments:

Post a Comment