Sunday, May 24, 2009

Our Little Cinderella's First Dance Recital

Sophia's hard work in dance class this year resulted in a wonderful performance at her first dance recital! The entire program was well done and entertaining; we thoroughly enjoyed all the dance numbers.

The show began with an act performed by dancers and their dads, a group which represented all the age groups the dance school teaches. The song they dramatized was "Cinderella" (the lyrics can be found at the bottom of this entry). The theme of the song is daddy's little girl growing up & how he cherishes every moment he has with her, and it was beautifully illustrated in the beginning by the littlest dancers (Sophia was one) being swirled and twirled by their daddies.

As the Cinderella in the song grows up, the dancers "aged" along with her...until "Cinderella" was waltzed around the stage by her new husband in her wedding dress. The performance was a real tearjerker, especially for me, watching my handsome husband delicately dance with our little princess who is growing up so fast. (I am hoping to post video of it, here, as my words cannot adequately describe the beauty of that dance.)

Sophia's routine was set to "A few of my favorite things" from the musical "The Sound of Music" (a favorite of mine and my mom's). I hope that our little ballerina continues to enjoy her dance lessons, because we sure enjoyed watching the culmination of her (and her teacher's) hard work in the recital. I look forward to her daddy presenting her with many more bouquets of flowers in the future, celebrating jobs well done!











"Cinderella" Lyrics
by Steven Curtis Chapman

She spins and she sways
To whatever song plays
Without a care in the world
And I'm sitting here wearing
The weight of the world on my shoulders
It's been a long day
And there's still work to do
She's pulling at me
Saying "Dad I need you!
There's a ball at the castle
And I've been invited
And I need to practice my dancing
Oh please, Daddy, please!"

So I will dance with Cinderella
While she is here in my arms
'Cause I know something the prince never knew
Oh I will dance with Cinderella
I don't want to miss even one song
'Cause all too soon the clock will strike midnight
And she'll be gone

She says he's a nice guy and I'd be impressed
She wants to know if I approve of her dress
She says, "Dad the prom is just one week away
And I need to practice my dancin'
Oh please, Daddy, please!"

So I will dance with Cinderella
While she is here in my arms
'Cause I know something the prince never knew
Oh I will dance with Cinderella
I don't want to miss even one song
'Cause all too soon the clock will strike midnight
And she'll be gone

She will be gone

But she came home today with a ring on her hand
Just glowin' and tellin' us all they had planned
She says, "Dad the wedding's still six months away but I need to practice my dancin'
Oh please, Daddy, please!"

So I will dance with Cinderella
While she is here in my arms
'Cause I know something the prince never knew
Oh I will dance with Cinderella
I don't want to miss even one song
'Cause all too soon the clock will strike midnight
And she'll be gone

2 comments:

  1. SOPHIA!!!!!!!!!!! You are sooooo cute!

    love ya
    Matty, Erin and Collin

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that they did a father/daughter dance. That is so neat and what a great memory for both Chris and Sophia. They say that the first man you fall in love with is your dad and that kind of sets the tone for the kind of man you'll marrry! So true in Abby's case as Ryan def has characteristics that remind me of my dad! :)

    ReplyDelete