Friday, May 1, 2009

Forty is Fabulous!

My fortieth birthday was the most amazing, touching, surprising, awesome birthday of my life!

My wonderful day started with my darling husband preparing breakfast & coffee; we spent some quiet time together before he headed to work. I was on the phone with my mom, when, around 6:30 a.m., my doorbell started RINGING! (You know how sometimes it rings louder than others, well, this was one of those times!) At the door was my gorgeous friend, Sarah, with an enormous, colorfully wrapped present in her hands. She was squealing, "Happy Birthday! Surprise!!"

Attached to the gargantuan box was a card, signed "from all of us" and with a note, "40 presents for 40 years". As I unwrapped the gift, I felt confused. (A mix of non-caffeinated coffee + early morning??) Opening the box, my breath was taken by the realization of my gift. Inside were forty perfectly wrapped little gifts, with a note of love & birthday wishes on each, all from a variety of friends...some from far away, some from friends I haven't seen in a while, some from new pals whom I have just met through Sophia's preschool class.

That my phenomenal friend would contact all of these women (some of whom she's never met) in order to surprise & honor me is just astounding! She and Alexa sat and watched as I opened each interesting package & read each message. I would be lying if I said I didn't tear up a time or two, during my impromptu "party with no people". After Sarah left, I just sat and marveled at how many thoughtful friends I have, and how lucky I am to know each and every one.

For lunch I dined with some of the amazing women who had participated in making my birthday so fantastic, then home to do some "chores". But my fabulous day was not done! As I arrived home, a beautiful "cake bouquet" was delivered...complete with 10candles. (Alexa insisted on reminding me that each candle represents 4 years!) Chris also sent me an incredible arrangement of red tulips & purple irises...they are stunning! My sweet mom also indulged my love of Longaberger AND my love of politics with a 2009 Inauguration Basket. :bliss:

Dinner time arrived and my handsome husband and daughters took me to a fun little Mexican restaurant, Mi Nidito. I felt so special getting ready for our night out, I had so many gorgeous, new pieces of jewelry to choose from! Ryan and Abby joined us, which made my night complete. We had a delicious meal & some typical family hijinks afterwards while picture taking. I fell asleep that night with an enormous smile on my face...feeling adored & cherished and thinking that forty is fabulous!!
The birthday card
40 presents for 40 years
40 presents
Mom and girls at the Presidential tableI got to sit where President Clinton sat when he dined at Mi Nidito (back in 1999). I did feel something when I sat there, but it was probably just the baby moving! J/K
Showing off new jewelryHere I am, cheekily showing off some of my new birthday jewelry.Sophia pouting We asked a woman outside the restaurant to take our photo, which upset Sophia who wanted to be the evening's photographer. She boycotted the first family picture. Sophia crying We convinced her to face front with us, but she wasn't happy about it.
Silly family pictureSophia took this picture (and did a darn good job!)

Tonight we're (Chris and I) dining out with some of our close friends...one of the fabulous things about my fortieth is that we're STILL celebrating! ha ha

4 comments:

  1. My Lora,
    So glad you felt a tiny fraction of the love and friendship that surrounds you! I love you,
    Court

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad you had a great birthday. You look WONDERFUL and happy and glowing. Once the chaos of packing and moving is done for us, we have to see you guys.
    Love, The Baileys

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous! you look gorgeous and wow what a bounty of presents...you deserve each and every one...and more! Muah!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like your birthday was awesome and how wonderful that you have so many great friends to share it with. miss you. -- Tam

    ReplyDelete